Learn how to make custom DIY outdoor pillow cover cases using your Cricut machine to personalize your space.
Upgrading or leveling up your outdoor patio space with new throw pillows is an easy and affordable way to personalize your space. While buying throw pillows can be affordable, sometimes, I can't find the pillow that I have in my mind on the shelves at the store.
I love using my Cricut machine to create custom pillowcases for upgrading my outdoor seating space. As you know, we picked up our teak patio set for under $200 off of a second hand buying website a few years ago. Generally, teak patio sets go for over $1,000, so we were fortunate to pick it up and do some TLC to bring it back to life. By adding in new cushion covers, we've successfully DIY the decor in this space with just a little bit of elbow grease.
Now, to take it over the top, we just need some personalized decor pillows using Cricut Design Space. You can mix and match Infusible Ink and Heat Transfer Vinyl below like I did.
In This Post
All About Cricut Throw Pillows
The amazing thing about the Cricut line of products is that they have a ton of products to choose from. However, the line up of blanks and supplies can be daunting because there are so many options to choose from. So, I'm going to guide you through your options.
For those have not been indoctrinated to the Cricut space, I'm wanted to run down some terminology before I talk about them.
- Cricut - This is the brand name of the line of products for crafting.
- Cricut Machine - This can represent a number of different machines that the Cricut brand sells. The most popular ones are Cricut Explore Air 2 (mid-range), Cricut Maker (high-end), and Cricut Joy (portable).
- Design Space - This is the software you use to design your project and send the digital directions to the Cricut Machine.
- Blanks - Blanks are anything that you use as a foundation to create your project that includes t-shirts, pillow shams, bags, and cup coasters.
- Vinyl - Vinyl comes in two different flavors - adhesive versus heat-transfer vinyl. Adhesive vinyl sticks to things like mugs and cars. Heat-transfer vinyl (also known short for HTV) are used for shirts and pillows generally.
- Transfer Tape - Transfer tape is normally used for adhesive vinyl.
- Infusible Ink - Infusible ink allows you to infuse the color into your blank so that the design is seamless with the material (unlike vinyl). Some also refer to this as sublimination ink. The infusible ink comes in two flavors: infusible pen/markers and infusible ink sheets.
- Heat press - For those that have leveled up over using an iron, heatpresses can be used for heating blanks with vinyl or infusible ink.
Blanks for Your Throw Pillows
I find that using Cricut supplies and blanks together yields the absolute best results for your project. I've done some experimenting with other materials, but the infusible ink generally will be a little more faded or the vinyl won't stick as well to non-cricut supplies. If you don't have time to experiment and don't want to waste money, you won't go wrong with Cricut blanks. Here are my favorite blanks for throw pillows to use with either Cricut vinyl or Cricut infusible ink:
- White Pillow Cover Blank, 18" x 18"
- Cream Pillow Cover Blank, 18" x 18"
- SUPER WHITE POLYESTER TWILL FABRIC CUSHION COVER (NO INSERT)- Nice light-medium weight twill woven fabric gives a good rich silky luster to the product. Looks rich & expensive. Fully absorbent to Polyester Inks & Dyes
- PERFECT FOR SUBLIMATION / HTV - Well processed Fabric gives you Bright colours with Sublimation or Heat Transfer Vinyl printing. Use Inks which are suitable for Polyester, and you will get clear, colourfast permanent designs
- USE FOR DIY GIFTS - Use for all sorts of other craft projects like painting, embroidery or stenciling. They make the perfect personalized gifts for all occasions
- Package quantity: you will be provided with 6 of white sublimation blanks pillow covers with invisible zippers, the size is for you to choose; Sufficient sizes can meet your various needs, and you can design your own pillow case as you want; Pillow covers can be applied on the sofa, couch, chair, bed, car, office, school, travel and so on or sent as a gift to your friends and family; Please note that there is no pillow insert
- Material and size: the printing temperature should be set at 180 degrees Celsius, lasting 10-20 seconds (440 degrees Fahrenheit); you can make double-sided printing, heat transfer blank panel pillow case is made of polyester peach skin material, soft and comfortable to touch, lightweight and durable to use, will not irritate your tender skin; It is also not easy to wrinkle, shrink or fade away
- Reasonable and beautiful design: these sublimation pillow cases are closed with concealed zippers on the bottom makes the closing almost invisible; You don't need to sewn it; Only the small puller can be seen, looking very tidy and elegant
- 17x17 Throw Pillow Covers: Place this set of cream-colored modern paintable throw pillow covers on the couch, armchair, loveseat, or bed to create a welcoming atmosphere in your home
- Great for Crafts: The blank pillow covers to decorate feature an unfinished surface that you can embellish with your own unique designs to revive and refresh furniture in living rooms, bedrooms, or offices
- Easy to Clean: Canvas pillow covers for crafts are made from cotton material that is soft, yet protective against dust, spills, and food splatter; to clean, machine wash with cold water, tumble dry low
- Please note：Pillow cover only, pillow insert are not included. including 4 pack pillowcase.You can DIY whatever you like on the pillowcase.
- Material:The white DIY pillow cases set is made of Cotton, soft ,comfortable and durability.Size: 18 x 18inch/ 45 x 45cm(1-2cm deviation because of hand-cutting and sewing).
- Easy care:Machine washable in cold water.Tumble dry on low. Note:Do not use bleach or softener. These DIY throw pillowcases are made of cotton,cotton will fade easily in the sun,not suitable for outdoor
Pillow Inserts for Your Throw Pillows
When it comes to pillow inserts, my family will tell you I'm kind of crazy when it comes to choosing the right one for "fluffiness". Here are my favorite picks for pillow covers:
- IKEA pillow inserts- While super inexpensive and the most economical for your money, they only come in specific sizes: 20" x 20", 26" x 26", and 16" x 26". The 20" x 20" will fit the Cricut blanks, but will make it look bulgey.
- Hometex Xanada - These are ultra affordable from Amazon.
- Pillowflex - These are hands down my ABSOLUTE favorite pillow inserts, albeit very expensive. Seriously, sooo good. Ultra soft and plush.
Options for Personalizing Your Throw Pillow
To personalize your throw pillow for outdoors, there are three options:
- Heat Transfer Vinyl - You design and cut out your heat transfer vinyl. You'll need to apply heat. This will cause a "raised" design in your pillow.
- Infusible Ink Pen - You can draw your design with pens (these can vary in thickness) and then do a heat transfer that will transfer the design in reverse. If you plan on drawing it, just make sure you know it'll be transferred in reverse.
- Infusible Ink Sheets - You can cut out your design using ink sheets that are in different colors and patterns and transfer them onto your blank.
I recommend using the infusible ink sheets because they are so versatile.
As you can see here, the Infusible Ink looks similar to paper. The ink vibrance on the sheet when you take it out appears lighter than what actually gets infused into the blank. As you can see, I used black on my pillows, and in this image, it has a brown hue. But the ink when infused on the sheet actually turns a dark black.
A few tools I would recommend for projects are as follows, but are not necessarily required.
First, a brayer will allow you to flatten the Infusible Ink sheet better than using your hand.
Heat resistant tape allows you to tape your design to your blank so it doesn't move around. This is really important especially for Infusible Ink.
- FEATURES: Each roll of Cricut Heat-Resistant Tape is 2 cm x 16 m (approximately 52 ft) and is resistant up to resistant up to 400°F (205°C). It leaves no residue, so you won't have to worry about it ruining your final product.
- HEAT-RESISTANT TAPE: Ensure your designs hold that perfect position throughout the entire heat-transfer application process with this high-temperature resistant tape. Safely secure custom designs to T-shirts, totes, baby bodysuits, and more.
- CRICUT TOOLS: At Cricut, we offer a wide range of accessories for every craft and crafter. Cricut Markers are compatible with Cricut Maker and Cricut Explore family machines. Use our wide range of Infusible Ink products to create unique T-shirts, coasters, totes, and more.
Ideas for Throw Pillows
If you don't feel like being creative or coming up with your own idea, that's totally okay as well. Cricut has a ton of design projects in their software called Design Space. Here are some of my favorites:
Summary About Pillowcases with Cricut
I hope this tutorial helps you learn all about how you can make an amazing throw pillow case for your space to personalize it just how you like it. There are so many ways you can decorate your space with throw pillows.
Other Home Decor Projects with Cricut
Creative Cricut Project Ideas and Inspiration
- Cricut Home Organization Project Ideas
- Make Pantry Labels with Cricut
- Cricut Infusible Ink Project Ideas
- How to Use Cricut Markers and Pens
- Cricut Infusible Ink Pens Tutorial
- Make a Vinyl Shirt with Cricut
- How to Make a Stencil with Cricut
- Cricut Throw Pillow Tutorial
- Earrings Made with Cricut
- Make Binder Labels with Cricut Machine for School Organization
- Make Earrings with Cricut
- How to Cut Chipboard with Cricut
More Pillow Inspiration
- 10 Minute DIY Throw Pillow
- Infusible Ink Pillow Project
- Grain Sack Pillow Fabric
- Summertime Accent Throw Pillows
- Wash and Whiten Yellowed Pillows
- Personalized Family Pillow