Learn the best containers and storage bins you can use with your IKEA Kallax unit. This is the best list of storage bins that you can find for this amazingly versatile shelving unit.
The IKEA Kallax Series is known as a versatile storage shelving system that is both attractive and functional. It is available in number of sizes and configurations.
But we’re always looking for more option of function, style and less clutter option for home organization. If you have a not aesthetically pleasing items that you want to store on your Kallax Shelves, having storage cubes is ideal to hide the mess or add style.
Although IKEA has a variety of storage bins, sometimes finding the perfect storage bins size and style for your home can be hard, especially if you are trying to fit it into the dimensions of the IKEA Kallax unit. So if you’re seeking for more options for storage, bins, and container options for your IKEA Kallax shelving, let me share to you the following Alternative Storage Cubes for your Kallax Shelves.
IKEA Kallax Storage
The Kallax storage series from IKEA is an excellent way of storing a wide range of items such as your books, home display, small appliances and so much more in a stylish way. It comes in a variety of ultra-sleek designs, modular options, and sizes. Using it can give you endless options in modifying your living space, as they can be hung on the wall, place on the floor, turn it into a desk even sturdy enough to sit on.
Size and Dimensions of Kallax Storage
Ikea Kallax shelves come in a variety of sizes. Most of the insides of the shelving units has dimensions that are 13′′ wide x 13′′ high. Items that has exactly 13′′ in height and width are perfect to store in Kallax Storage.
IKEA Kallax vs Flysta Dimensions
The popular Swedish brand's Kallax and Flysta Series are both shelf units. They are great storage pieces that can easily modify by adding various storage cubes.
While both shelving series is available in different sizes, Flysta is a somewhat smaller and easier-to-place shelving unit that is ideal for tiny spaces.
In comparison to the insides of the shelving units, Kallax has 13 x 13” wide and high inner cube dimensions. While Flysta has a cube interior of 11 x 11” wide and high.
Popularity of IKEA Kallax (and Flysta)
Both IKEA's shelving units are versatile pieces that are great to be used for a variety of purposes in the house, including home decor and storage. Due to its large size, the Kallax shelf is popular for both home and business to store variety of items. While Flysta is ideal for someone who needs a simple bookshelf or wants to utilize it as home design furniture to complement their space.
IKEA Kallax Storage Bin Alternatives
As mentioned, IKEA offers a variety of storage bins that are compatible with your Kallax shelving units. But if you are looking for more choices, I have round up today some options you can choose to add more style and functionality in your cubbies.
Cloth Bin Baskets and Storage
When it comes to decking out the Kallax shelf units, cloth bins are one of the most popular options.
- Collapsible bins to save on space when not in use
- 5 heavy cardboards (include bottom side) support each side for every bin
- Lightweight and sturdy boxes perfect for organization
It is an ideal shelf storage for magazines, accessories, and other light items you want to hide or store. The following are some cloth/fabric bins perfect for your IKEA Kallax unit.
Target Threshold's Fashion Cube Storage Bin is multi-purpose storage solution for any area in the house. It is small and light, with two handles for easy portability. As this has a 13” dimensions, it will be a perfect fit for your Kallax storage shelf.
This fabric storage cubes will add a splash of color to your shelving units. Each fabric organizer has a label holder on the front that makes it simple to label items for improved organizing.
If you are looking for a toy room organizer, this animal cube will be perfect for your playroom. The mouth of the animal has a see-through plastic covering also serves as a flap for easy access. When not in use, it also compresses into a flat piece.
Get ready to fall in love with this piece if you have a pet in your home. Serves as a pet cave, it has minimalist design that can be easily kept on shelves without sacrificing your pet comfort. Bonus: it even comes with a pillow!
- Assemble in seconds
- Polypropylene non-woven fabric-covered body with clear vinyl window
- Clear mouth with magnetic closure for easy access
These woven nylon cube bins are designed to be used not only to manage the chaos in your cabinets but to also last for a long time. It has well made metal frames to retain shape and durability.
This foldable cube storage bins is a wonderful choice to keep your home organized. If you’re looking to save space, this collapsible storage can be folded and stored when not in use.
Clear Plastic Bins and Storage
There is a lot of benefits in getting storage bins, but getting clear bins can be more helpful. Unlike color-coded storage bins, clear bins can let you see what is inside for easy access of your items.
Here are some clear bins for your Kallax units to help for your organization:
Not only this container store storage will be beneficial to keep your things organized, it is modular, allowing you to stack it safely and make the most of your shelving space. However, they are made to fit regular 12" and 16" depth closet shelves precisely so it may not be ideal for your Kallax unit.
This Slim Project Case has a See-Through design that allows you to find any stored goods instantly from any angle.
With its super compact design, it provides a simple way to arrange art supplies, school supplies, and children's toys.
- MADE IN USA with global materials - Keep your board games and other projects organized and portable. The clear plastic hobby modular storage satchel offers an easy solution to organize everything from board games to school and office supplies, stationery and documents to hobby goods and art supplies while the sturdy design keeps everything protected inside.
- SEE THROUGH - Quickly find what you're looking for thanks to the see-through design of the clear plastic organizing container that lets you see what's inside from any angle.
- CONVENIENT DESIGN - The latch securely closes the craft supply box to keep contents stored and organized inside while also keeping them safe from dust and liquids. The molded handle makes transporting your hobby supplies a breeze and lets you take projects with you wherever you go.
Wood Inserts Fitted for Kallax Shelving
If you are into storing papers, documents or other craft materials, these cube inserts from from Stamp and Storage will work for you. Perfect for craftroom and office, it will hold all of your crafting papers or cards.
- Actual Size: 14" Wide x 13-1/4" High x 12-3/8" Deep; Slot Height = 11/16" | This Paper Holder DOES NOT Fit the IKEA Kallax shelving unit.
- This 15-Slot Paper Holder is sturdy enough to stack into a tower of creativity or you can put one right on your desk. You can choose to store your 12x12 paper either vertically or horizontally. It's up to you!
- All Stamp-n-Storage products are designed to work great together as a system. With a common design and product sizing, you can mix and match a variety of items and create a custom storage and display solution for your space.
Wicker Crates Alternatives
West Elm Modern Weave storage promises durability as each piece is made by hand from rattan peel that has been carefully weaved. It has cutout handles for easy portability and large enough to organize or keep your magazines, accessories and other stuffs.
This Threshold Dark Brown Small Milk Crate is small but stylish handwoven basket, providing you with much-needed utilitarian storage space. Large in size, it has a lot of storage space inside.
Entirely handcrafted, it is another stylish way to keep toys on playroom area, magazines, or your food in your pantry shelving. They are easy to remove from a shelf or relocate from room to room thanks to their integrated handles.
Wood Crate Alternatives
This Wood and Metal Sebastian Crate is a great blend for industrial home or office style. It will hide your clutter in style with its rustic appeal.
This wooden box fits IKEA Kallax series flawlessly and has a felt gliders under the box! It is also available in various finishes.
These colorful designs from Crate and Barrel is made to delight your home organization. Available in various style, sizes and colors, it will keep your clutter under control while doing it with fun.
Other Options from IKEA
IKEA also has some great drawer inserts that slide in and out of the shelving. You just need to be able to install it with a screwdriver and elbow grease. I painted the knobs to give it a personalized feel.
Best Places to Buy
It helps when you can get excellent products for less while organizing a place because it might be costly. Having variety of options, getting the convenience and comfort to purchase them can be great too.
Both Target and Amazon qualifies in getting affordable and variety of storage bins with convenience. Target has a physical store that offers where you can get a lot of affordable home decor sure to match every home and personal style. It also has an online store where you can get your items with convenience.
While we all know, that Amazon, for a long time, has dominated the e-commerce market. They also features a surprising number of home organization storage cubes and most of them are reasonably priced too. You can give your home or office-shelving units a refreshing style without ever stepping outside.
More Organization Inspiration
If you liked this post, you might check out some of my other posts on organization tips and tricks around the house.
- Best Organization and Storage Products
- Best Farmhouse Storage and Metal Baskets
- Medicine Cabinet Organization
- Bathroom Organization Tips
- Home Office Pegboard Inspiration
- Pantry Labels for Organization
- Tips to Organize and Clean Under Kitchen Sink
- Basement Labeling Organization
- Home Organization with Cricut Joy
- Organize and Store kids School Work and Art
- DIY 2x4s Basement Shelving
- Storage and Containers for IKEA Kallax Units
- DIY Toy Room Basket and Storage Bin Labels
- DIY Drawer Divider for IKEA Alex Cabinets
- DIY Double Trash Can Cabinet
- Hide the Mess with Farmhouse Style
- Toy Rotation System
- How to Organize and Preserve Kids Art and School Work