When it is time to deck the halls and trim the tree, you can indulge in the age-old tradition of advent calendars. These delightful countdowns have been adorning homes for generations, adding a touch of excitement and anticipation to the lead-up to Christmas. Here are some creative ways to decorate your home for the holidays with kids using advent calendars, reveling in the sheer joy and fun they bring to this magical time of year. Plus, we'll check out some fantastic options to help you choose the perfect advent calendar for your family.
Thinking of flocking your Christmas tree? Check out this post on how to flock and whiten up your Christmas tree!
In This Post
The Advent Calendar Tradition
Advent calendars have a rich history that dates back to the 19th century in Germany. Originally, they were simple paper cards or candles with 24 windows, each concealing a religious image or verse. Over time, this concept evolved into the beloved advent calendars we know today, featuring chocolates, small toys, or other treats behind the numbered doors. The purpose remains the same: to count down the days from December 1st to Christmas Eve, building excitement for the big day.
Decorating with Advent Calendars
One of the most enchanting aspects of advent calendars is the opportunity they offer for decorating your home for the holidays with your children. Incorporating these charming countdowns into your décor can be a fun and creative family activity. Whether you choose to hang a traditional calendar by the fireplace or make a bold statement with a larger farmhouse style version as a centerpiece, advent calendars can blend seamlessly with your holiday decorations.
The Joy and Fun of Advent Calendars
The joy that advent calendars bring to the holiday season is palpable. Each morning, children excitedly rush to open the day's door, revealing a hidden surprise. It's a daily dose of delight that fosters the magic of Christmas. These small moments of anticipation and discovery can be cherished by the entire family, reminding us of the joy and wonder that the holiday season embodies.
Options for Advent Calendars
When it comes to choosing the perfect advent calendar for your home, the options are as diverse as the decorations themselves. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Traditional Chocolate Advent Calendars: These classics feature a piece of chocolate behind each door, making them a sweet way to count down to Christmas.
- DIY Advent Calendars: Get creative and crafty with your family by making your own advent calendar. You can use small bags, envelopes, or boxes to hold surprises and decorate them in your preferred farmhouse style.
- Reusable Advent Calendars: Invest in a reusable advent calendar that can be refilled each year with treats, notes, or small gifts. These are not only eco-friendly but also a lasting tradition for your family.
- Farmhouse Style Advent Calendars: If you're looking to embrace the rustic charm of farmhouse décor, there are advent calendars designed specifically with this aesthetic in mind. They often feature wooden elements, vintage-inspired designs, and a cozy feel that complements farmhouse décor.
- Activity-Based Advent Calendars: Instead of treats or gifts, consider an advent calendar that offers daily activities or experiences for your family to enjoy together. This can include things like baking cookies, watching a holiday movie, or doing a festive craft.
Advent calendars are more than just a countdown; they're a cherished holiday tradition that adds warmth, excitement, and joy to your home during this magical season. Whether you opt for a classic chocolate calendar or embrace the farmhouse style with rustic charm, these delightful countdowns are sure to create lasting memories for your family. So, go ahead, choose your favorite advent calendar, and start counting down to the most wonderful time of the year!
Christmas Tree Home Decor Tips
- Affordable Christmas Tree Collars
- DIY Christmas Tree Box to Hide Metal Stand
- DIY Christmas Tree Collar Ideas
- Christmas Decorating Ideas for Guest Bathroom
- Christmas Decor Inspiration from Nell Hills
- Fun Ways to Decorate with Kids fo Christmas
- Holiday Christmas Decor Ideas
- DIY Christmas Tree Skirt with Kids Handprints
- How to Flock a Christmas Tree with Fake Snow
- Best Frosted and Flocked Holiday Christmas Wreaths
- Tips for Decorating Your Home for the Holidays
- Kids Thumbprint Ornament Christmas Tree
- Farmhouse Style Advent Calendar