Did you know that one of the simplest and popular crafts to make with your Cricut machine are earrings? I am sure you have noticed leather earrings popping up all over the place as a trend due to how to not only cute they are, but also how lightweight and versatile they can be. Leather earrings are very chic, comfortable to wear, and go with anything!
Making earrings is super easy, especially using faux leather with your machine. However, finding blanks might be a little bit tougher. I’m sharing with you the best places to buy faux leather so you can stock up to create these fabulous earrings with your Cricut machine whenever creativity sparks.
With these sourcing and buying tips, you’ll be able to create a stash of faux leather earrings using your Cricut machine (Cricut Maker or Cricut Explore series).
In addition, I’ll share with you some of the best tips so you can shorten your learning curve on how to make these earrings with your machine and where you can buy the best supplies and materials for your craft.
Best Places to Buy Blanks to Make Earrings with Cricut
Finding the right blanks to make earrings with your Cricut machine can prove to be a tough endeavor. Here are my tried and true places to buy blanks that I think you’ll have success with as well.
If you don’t have one of the physical stores near by, that’s okay because I’m sharing with you some online resources and roundups as well so you can easily just click and buy.
Hobby Lobby has a huge selection of faux leather earring blanks as well as fabric blanks that can be used for making earrings with your Cricut.
Generally, you’ll need to check in the fabric section, where they store all of their ribbons, and you’ll see an endcap that has an endless supply of faux leather sheets that are on rolls that come in different patterm and styles.
Etsy has a huge selection of faux leather fabric and even jewelry-making supplies. Etsy also offers premade blanks, so if you wanted to just add some foiling or design on top of precut designs, you could do that as well. They’ll basically cut the main print, and you’ll just need to design on top of it.
Amazon can be counted on for a consistent collection and dependable shipping.
- 30PCS Faux Leather Sheets: 4 different types of leather, including 17*Classic Monochrome Leather fabric sheet, 5*metallic artificial leather fabric sheet, 6*Glitter faux leather fabric sheet, 2*leopard-print faux leather fabric sheet, perfect for leather earring making and other DIY crafts!!
- Stylish and Colorful: leather sheets come with so many colors as picture showed, each size approx 7.9 '' x 6 ''(21 x 16 cm).
- Full Earring Making Kit: including 150-180*earring hooks, 5 colors; 500-550*jump ring, 5 colors; 1*pliers; 1*jumper opener; 1*scissors; 1*Tweezers; 1*zipper bag.
- 【Size】21 x 30 cm (approx. 8 x 12 inches), 1 mm thickness, a little soft
- 【Material】high quality PU, cotton back, no odors
- 【Pattern】pearlescent, 10 solid colors
- Total 28 pieces 5 kinds of faux leather sheets, Includes 5 pieces leopard print faux leather, 8 pieces glitter leather fabric sheets, 5 pieces sequins leather sheets, 5 pieces synthetic leather fabric sheets, 5 pieces metallic faux leather sheets
- Equips with valuable leather earring kit for you to make a variety of leather earrings, such as 500pcs jump rings, 180pcs earring hooks(5 colors, more than the actual number), pliers, water-soluble pens, jump rings opener, scissors, 32pcs tassel pendant, 10pcs push pins
- Comes with an instructions and 20pcs leather earring cut templates to guide you, even if you are a starter, making your own handmade craft will be still very easy and the templates are reusable and washable
- Nice combination of earrings: come with 20 pairs faux leather earrings in different colors and styles, enough quantity for you to wear on different occasions
- Delicate styles: different styles of faux leather earrings are provided, all are delicate styles, various colors like yellow, blue, red, black, white give you more choices to match with your dress up, you can choose one to wear according to your mood
- Material: the teardrop dangle earrings are made of PU leather material, which is soft and lightweight with the same texture on both sides, the hook is and -, safe for you to use
- 🌺【Package Contents】❖30 leopard printed fauxs fur earring pieces❖30 metallic earring pieces❖ 60earring hooks❖60 jump rings❖1 jump ring opener
- 🌺【Full Set】This earrings making kit contains materials and tools, which can make 30 pairs faux leather earrings.
- 🌺【No Machine Cutting Issues】The faux leather materials are pre-cut in fashion teardrop shape, don`t worry about that the faux leather sheet can`t be cut by Circut or Silhouette.
The Leather Guy name itself speaks of what they sell – leather stuff. It is a fantastic online leather shop that sells a wide range of leathers and tools. One of the best kept secrets for real leather.
Cricut also carries materials that are guaranteed to work with their machine. While a little on the pricey side, they pretty much guarantee their blanks to work with their machines.
Supplies Needed for Leather Earrings with Cricut
Below are my favorite tools you can use to make leather earrings right at home.
A Cricut weeder is designed to work with a wide range of materials and tasks for your Cricut machine as its angled tip is perfect for removing tiny cuts. For your Cricut Leather Earrings Project, it will be your sharp tool to poke holes for the jump rings and earring hooks.
If you do not have a Cricut weeder, any piercing tool can also be used.
- 1 Weeder
- Specially designed to easily remove tiny negative cuts
- Perfect for working with all vinyl and iron-on types
The primary function of a small hole punch is to cut a small hole in your material. A small hole punch will be used for your Cricut earrings to punch holes in your faux leather so you can thread your earring wires through.
Earrings hooks (also known as ear wires) are looped wire bow used to secure an earring to a pierced ear. There are various earring hooks, and you can choose what type you want, depending on your style.
- GREAT VAULE SET - You can get 600pcs in total included 200pcs earring hooks in two colors of gold and silver, 200pcs 6mm jump rings in two colors of gold and silver as well as 200pcs 4mm clear rubber earring backs
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL-These hypoallergenic earring hooks are made of 925 silver-plated copper, earring backs are made of clear silicone. The good quality silver hooks make your comfort and pleasure assured
- COME WITH JUMP RINGS - These earring findings come with a great amount of jump rings, they are necessary for making earrings, you don’t need to buy separately
Earring Jump Rings
Earring jump rings are a must-have if you are into jewelry making as they allow you to connect everything from chains to clasps, pendants, to charms. You can use earring jump rings not only for earrings but also for bracelets and necklaces. The earring jump rings will make attaching the earring hooks to the leather easier.
Cricut mats are made to keep materials in place while passing through the Cricut machine. They are used to provide the perfect amount of touch when cutting various materials. There are four different Cricut machine mats: LightGrip Machine Mat, StandardGrip Machine Mat, StrongGrip Machine Mat, and FabricGrip Machine Mat.
For faux leather crafts, it is recommended to use a strong cutting mat as they are designed for heavyweight materials.
Tips for Making Earrings with Cricut
Making earrings using your Cricut machine is easier than you think! If you are new to making crafts with your Cricut, but finding it complicated to begin your art, or you want to avoid wasting time in committing mistakes, I want to reassure you. I am sharing the following tricks and tips on successfully creating your leather earrings as your first project.
Make sure your mat is sticky
The use of the type of Cricut mat depends on the materials you are cutting. For Cricut leather earrings, it is essential to use a more substantial grip, so it is recommended to use the StrongGrip Mat or a newer Standard Grip Mat along with some tape around the material.
The goal is to get a cut without the mat or the material shifting.
Check if the back of your leather is sticking to the mat
Some faux leather have a fuzzy back that may not stick on the mat. If that happens, you can apply a layer of transfer tape or add contact paper before putting it on the mat to prevent it from sliding off the cutting mat.
Use the right blade (and make sure it’s clean)
It is essential to use the right blade for your Cricut machine as using the wrong blade can cause damage to your materials, as well as the blade itself. However, there are many types of blades that you can use depending on what kind of Cricut Machine you are using. For Cricut Maker and Cricut Explore Series, a fine point blade and deep point blade are compatible.
The right choice for the blade to use for your Cricut earrings will depend on the leather you choose. It would be best to use the Deep-Point Blade with your Cricut machine to cut genuine leather. However, the fine point blade can sometimes be used on faux leather material depending on the thickness of the material.
It is also necessary that you clean your blade after each cut at the very least check to see if any material adhered to it to avoid mess or failure to your Cricut projects.
Place your design correctly
When it comes to cutting, the more you put the design near the edges, the more probable it is to move around, so it is best to avoid placing your design too close to the material's edges. In your Design Space, keep the proportions locked so that when you modify the height, the width adapts as well.
I hope you were able to find some awesome sources for faux leather earring blanks. I know they can be hard to find, especially if you are not wanting to buy in bulk.
Materials for making earrings don’t have to be hard to find, you just need some guidance on what type and where to find them, so I hope this provided you some tips and tricks on sourcing the best blanks for your next project.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cricut supports various materials in making earrings, including faux leather, aluminum sheets, natural wood veneer, basswood, kraft board, and real leather. However, when making your Cricut Earrings, using leather or faux leather as your material is a popular choice.
Yes, you may make your leather earrings by cutting them out by hand. However, using Cutting Machines like Cricut Maker is more recommended if you want a clean and uniform cut. Also, it may be problematic to hand-cut leather if you are into cutting complicated shapes.
You can cut genuine leather if you have a Cricut Maker or Cricut Explorer machine. It is recommended to use the deep-point blade to
More Cricut Projects
- Infusible Ink Overview with Cricut
- Cricut vs Silhouette Honest Review
- Make Pantry Labels with Cricut
- Use Cricut Infusible Ink Pens
- Make a Vinyl Shirt with Cricut
- Cricut Stencil Machine
- Cricut Throw Pillow Tutorial
- Earrings Made with Cricut
- Heat Press vs Cricut EasyPress Comparison Guide
- Make Binder Labels with Cricut Machine for School Organization
- Cricut Foil Transfer Kit