In this post, I'm talking to you about the most recommended sofas for families.Tomorrow, I'm turning the big THREE ZERO. And what better way to celebrate than thinking of new sofa ideas for small family rooms!??! These are the thoughts I get excited about these days! Before I get to my curated list of awesome sofa ideas for a small family room, I wanted to share with you the story on my first big purchase of a sofa costing over $1,500. I'm still in shock 5 years later.
Sofa Ideas for Small Family RoomsLet me take you down memory lane. Remember this pleather bad boy I got in college (not the guy, the couch)? Hanging my head in shame. . After doing some shopping and research, I ended up with this display sofa from Pottery Barn. It's the Grand Roll Arm Sofa with Boxed Cushions and it was love at first sight! The thing that sold me on this sofa was the slipcovers! And the price tag. Gulp. It was time for me to take the plunge and invest in GOOD furniture. We had a few "discussions" before I purchased it. I knew that we would have a family of six at the time, so I wanted to make sure that the sofa that we purchased was going to stand the test of time AND of kids bouncing around on it. A few things that made me purchase a slipcover sofa was that:
- I wanted to be able to wash the slipcovers. I didn't want to be the house that wasn't "lived in" because we had plastic all over the furniture.
- I wanted a sofa that had room for at least FOUR people.
- This is totally going against the grain of anything sane, but I wanted a white sofa. I LOVE the farmhouse/cottage style, so I wanted a white sofa. I'm crazy, I know. Especially with four kids.
Things to Consider for Sofa Ideas for Small Family RoomIf you have a small family room, there are a few things you should consider before buying a family room sofa.
- Identify the focal point of the room. The sofa should be set so that it goes with the focal point.
- Consider how people will be going in and out of the room. The rule of thumb is to allow 3 feet of walking space with your furniture arrangement.
- Think about the best type of sofa. There are regular sofas, sectionals and even backless sofas to complement your small family room.