In this post, I'm talking to you about the most recommended sofas for families.
Tomorrow, I'm turning the big THREE ZERO. And what better way to celebrate than thinking of new sofa ideas for small family rooms!??! These are the thoughts I get excited about these days!
Before I get to my curated list of awesome sofa ideas for a small family room, I wanted to share with you the story on my first big purchase of a sofa costing over $1,500. I'm still in shock 5 years later.
In This Post
Sofa Ideas for Small Family Rooms
Let me take you down memory lane. Remember this pleather bad boy I got in college (not the guy, the couch)? Hanging my head in shame.
After doing some shopping and research, I ended up with this display sofa from Pottery Barn. It's the Grand Roll Arm Sofa with Boxed Cushions and it was love at first sight! The thing that sold me on this sofa was the slipcovers!
And the price tag. Gulp. It was time for me to take the plunge and invest in GOOD furniture.
We had a few "discussions" before I purchased it. I knew that we would have a family of six at the time, so I wanted to make sure that the sofa that we purchased was going to stand the test of time AND of kids bouncing around on it. A few things that made me purchase a slipcover sofa was that:
- I wanted to be able to wash the slipcovers. I didn't want to be the house that wasn't "lived in" because we had plastic all over the furniture.
- I wanted a sofa that had room for at least FOUR people.
- This is totally going against the grain of anything sane, but I wanted a white sofa. I LOVE the farmhouse/cottage style, so I wanted a white sofa. I'm crazy, I know. Especially with four kids.
What sold me on this sofa was that it was (a) slipcovered and (b) it was a neutral color. Granted, the slip covers cost about $1100, I figured I could get someone to sew me one for a fraction of that if I really needed it. I was also thinking that it was washable, so that was an added plus. Before I made my purchase, I took a "time out" / "heat of the moment" break to call Ryan, who didn't pick up the phone the ten times I called him. Then I called my best girl friends and asked her for her opinion. She said that I was insane for buying a white couch with babies, but if I loved it, I should get it. Sigh.
That's our story. Now, back to my suggestions.
Things to Consider for Sofa Ideas for Small Family Room
If you have a small family room, there are a few things you should consider before buying a family room sofa.
- Identify the focal point of the room. The sofa should be set so that it goes with the focal point.
- Consider how people will be going in and out of the room. The rule of thumb is to allow 3 feet of walking space with your furniture arrangement.
- Think about the best type of sofa. There are regular sofas, sectionals and even backless sofas to complement your small family room.
Favorite Sofas Chosen By Moms
Here are some of the tried and true sofas that I've gotten advice over the years that have worked really well for most families!
Lounge II Sectional - There are so many bloggers that have purchased this sofa! The reason is because of the super-deep, low seats that let families just pile on!
Emory Slipcovered Sofa - This sofa is GORGEOUS and has pillows to match! It has wide seating and it is a slipcover that you can wash.
Henry L Shaped Sectional - This sectional is gorgeous. It would be beautiful in the Twill, Gravel.
Comfort Grand Roll Arm Sofa - The grand size gives it deep seating and the boxed cushions tailor the look. This is for the smaller version (scroll down for the grand version with our family in it)!
Cloud Modular Sofa - This is a gorgeous, but kind of expensive sofa. It is beautiful in it's own right!
The Sofa We Ended Up Choosing for Our Small Family Room
For those who are wondering, it is this specific model: Pottery Barn Comfort Grand Slipcovered Sofa in linen white. It's "Grand" because it is deeper and 10 inches wider than a regular sofa.
Now, some of you have made the argument about an Ikea sofa that looks very similar to it, check out my review on how the Pottery Barn Grand Sofa comparison to the Ikea Ektorp.
Follow me on Instagram @sengersonhome for more home decor inspiration!
Furniture Seating Inspiration
- Buffalo Check Accent Chairs
- Pottery Barn Sofa Slipcover Knockoff Dupe
- Wingback Chair Reupholstery Cost and Makeover Tutorial
- How to Choose a Slipcover Sofa
- White Slipcovered Sofa with Kids
- Sofa Ideas for Small Family Room
- IKEA Ektorp Sofa Slipcover on Pottery Barn Sofa
- Best Sources for Sofa Slipcovers
- Custom Pottery Barn Slipcover Makeover
- Slipcovers for Every Type of Sofa and Couch