A few days ago, I talked about some of the fun summer drinks that we made to enjoy with this amazing weather - especially on our back patio! I've been so excited to use our covered patio, so we just recently purchased a few items to refresh the space. Can you believe that just last year, all we had was our grill on the patio?!
Now that my kids are a little older, they are loving the outdoors and spending time in the fresh air. I LOVE the fact that they love the outdoors - I want my little babes to be exploring and discovering nature. One of these days, we'll be extending our patio to the length of the backside of our house so we can spend more time outdoors.
We're saving up for that big renovation. However, I didn't want the waiting to cause us to have a ho-hum space. I also didn't want a set of tables and chairs to fill up the space without any character. I yearned for our covered deck to be a space that is just as inviting as inside our home.
Today, I'm sharing with you five tips on decorating your patio on a budget to bring your outdoor space to life! The goal was to be able to update the space with items that we could still use once we finish our renovation.
5 Tips for Decorating Your Patio on a Budget
1. Add some throw pillows. If you don't have a covered patio, I would recommend getting some pillows that are specific to the outdoors so they can maintain their wear, as they can fade with the hot sun pointing down at them. I love that pillows can be interchanged for a pop of color.
2. Add an outdoor rug. As my first stop for outdoor home decor products, I went to Big Lots and found this beautiful neutral outdoor area rug. It's a 5 x 7 that fit perfectly with the space. They had an awesome selection to choose from. An outdoor rug makes it seem more inviting and somewhere you WOULD want to lounge.
3. Add plants or decor to the tables. Too often, I see people with empty backyard tables. Why not add a few pieces of decor to liven up the space? I typically decorate in groups of threes. If you don't know what to put, I would recommend finding some pots that are of similar colors or coordinating colors (also found at Big Lots).
Next, grab some of your favorite herbs. You'll now have a container garden for all of your herbs or an avocado plant (like below).
4. Add shelving for function and decor. Shelving allows you to display and add character to your space. With this growing plant shelf that I got from Big Lots, I was able to add four layers of pots and decor. I am using this as my herb garden as well!
At the top, you'll notice there is a little solar light for night time. It is awesome!
I have our cilantro growing. I got these awesome blue pots at Big Lots too! I love shopping there first for my decor items because I can usually find great pieces that were on my list!
As well as some thyme and rosemary.
You don't have to just grow plants, you can add anything that adds a hint of your personality.
5. Leave room for lounging. I spaced our furniture out so that our little kids could run around the tables without smacking onto anything. The way you place your furniture is important, as it could make the space feel smaller or bigger.
I moved this furniture around 4 times before I loved the result. Don't be afraid to rearrange at different angles either. It doesn't always have to be a wall with the furniture against it!
With these five tips, you should be able to make your space more inviting! How are you planning on sprucing up your outdoor space? Check out Big Lots for their collection of outdoor decor and patio furniture here. In this post, I featured two blue pots, an outdoor rug, and the awesome shelf for my herb garden that were all from Big Lots. They carry high-quality lawn and garden/outdoor décor products, including patio furniture & gazebos, that is value priced with the ability to mix and match to create a perfect outdoor space. Styles and assortment vary by store.
How are you planning on incorporating your indoor decor outdoors?
More Outdoor Living Spaces and Projects to Inspire You
- Decorating a Patio on a Budget
- Garden Sprinkler System
- Outdoor Farmhouse Pots and Planters
- Outdoor Covered Living with White Wash Furniture
- Restore Outdoor Teak Furniture
- Early Spring Vegetable Garden Tips
- How to Paint Around or Behind Bushes Outdoors
- How to Hang String Lights Under Covered Patio
Where is your patio furniture from? I love it so much!
Thanks Beth! We actually got it off of Craigslist.