This is an easy DIY Custom Lampshade that you can make really easily with just a few supplies!
When I decorate a room, I already have a sense of what kind of feel I want for the room. More often than not, I'll have an idea of exactly what I want for a room. In this case, for Ansley's room, I wanted a GLAM lamp. Basically, I wanted something that screamed girly with crystals and lavender.
The At Home Store had an amazing selection of lamp bases that were gorgeous. I mean, I found this thing which was amazing. Some people (Ryan) may think it looks gawdy. It was too much for the space that I wanted to decorate.
I did find a gorgeous lamp base that would be perfect. But I wanted a lampshade that was lavender or purple. I searched high and low. Amazon, Home Goods, At Home, Target, Wal-Mart, Pottery Barn, Z Gallerie - I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere. That's where my DIY need came in.
I'll be honest. For this project, it was not about saving money (that would have been a plus). It was more of a need to finish the room the way I needed to. So, here's how you DIY your own lampshade. I love how this turned out:
Below are directions on how you can DIY a custom lamp shade yourself using ribbon.
Instructions on DIY a Custom Lamp Shade
- Lamp Base
- Cheap Lamp Shade (the one pictured was less than $20 from Target)
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Ribbon (get enough to go around based on the width - I had to buy 8 yards)
1. Take your fabric. Start at the crease so that you can hide the ends on that side.
2. It's easier if you put the hot glue on the shade first, and then press down the ribbon.
3. Tip: Use a glue stick to "press" the fabric down so you don't have to burn your fingers.
4. I overlapped some of the fabric as I went around to make it look more fluffy.
5. After about an hour, you should get a lamp shade that looks like this. Isn't it super cute? And its custom!!
Check out my Pinterest board specifically for Ansley's lavender, purple, grey, white themed big girl room!
As a related project, I created a DIY lamp shade using fabric instead of ribbon that you can check out.
What do you think?!
To be notified of new DIY projects, sign up for my newsletter!