If you're a parent, you know firsthand how quickly a mudroom can become cluttered and disorganized. Between sports equipment, school supplies, and outdoor gear, it can be a challenge to keep everything in its place. But with a little planning and some clever storage solutions, it is possible to create a kid-friendly mudroom that is both functional and stylish.
In this blog post, we will share our top tips for organizing a mudroom for families with children. From customizable shelving to creative storage bins, we have the ideas and inspiration you need to create a mudroom that works for you and your kids. So if you're ready to tackle the clutter and create a mudroom that is both organized and kid-friendly, read on!
In This Post
Doubling Wall Organization with Decor
In our home, our laundry room and mudroom are in the same area. As soon as you walk in from the garage, you'll see our washer and dryer on the right along with our storage a few inches past it!
The room was kind of empty on the opposite side until we hung up a cute Kansas City map for wall decor. I also added my kids photos in the white shelving! I was waiting for munchkin number four to arrive!
Organizing Kids Shoes
However, our biggest dilemma has been organizing piles of kids shoes. It still is a dilemma. But I wanted to solve at least finding MY SHOES in one spot, so that I wasn't digging through the kids shoes that they just throw all over the place.
For my 2016 birthday, my husband had grand ideas of building me a shoe cubby, but because of the new baby, it never got completed. However, on a trip to Ikea's clearance section, I found this hutch on sale for $10!! It was narrow and perfect for a shelf for shoes!
The top part of the hutch is unpainted, but I plan on staining that in the future.
For $10, you can't beat that! I love that it also hides away my shoes and provides a table on top.
Makeshift Control Station
On this table, I have baskets that have inserts for my kids artwork (I have a post coming soon on what I keep or throw away). I'm loving how this side of our laundry room / mudroom is coming along.
Here are some finds right on Amazon that are Best Sellers
- 👶【Safe and Healthy Material】100% ECO Water Hyacinth Wicker with no bad chemical smell, it is good for you and your family health,Water Hyacinth is an all-natural and easily renewable resource. Helps to save our environment.KWL Maxhanest
- 【UPGRADED STORAGE BASKET】：Our square baskets are made of 100% renewable round paper rope, clean renewable resources with incredibly sustainable. The handicraft of making rattan wares from paper rope has become a tradition.
- 🌿Set of 4 PACK.Water Hyacinth storage baskets measure 11.8"L x 11.8"W x 11.8"H.
- Note: This woven look is printed on the front, is a picture
- NATURAL MATERIAL & PROTECT OUR EARTH ENVIRONMENT - Tegance Water hyacinth woven Storage Baskets handmade by 100% ECO Water Hyacinth Wicker with no bad chemical smell, it is good for the family's health and even could help to protect our environment. Because Water hyacinth is an aquatic plant, which grows so fast and so thickly that it's considered an invasive species in some places, using them to make baskets could help to protect the environment, Maintain ecological balance
- PURE COTTON ROPE - While environmental friendly cotton rope basket is soft and safe for storing item, our breathable cotton storage also features of durable and firm. It is also flexible enough to fold into a corner.
Sports Gear Organization
Here are a few tips for organizing kids' sports gear in a garage or mudroom:
- Use bins or baskets: Store small items such as balls, gloves, and hats in bins or baskets that can be easily labeled and tucked away on shelves or in a closet. This will help keep the items organized and prevent them from getting lost or cluttered.
- Install hooks and racks: Use hooks and racks to hang larger items such as sports bags, jackets, and helmets. This will free up floor space and make it easier to access the gear.
- Use wall-mounted shelving: Install shelving on the walls to store larger items such as skateboards, scooters, and bikes. This will keep the items off the floor and make it easier to access them.
- Use a designated area for each child: Assign a specific area for each child's gear and encourage them to keep their items organized in that area. This will help prevent clutter and make it easier for kids to find their gear when they need it.
- Have a designated "clean-up" time: Set aside a specific time each week or month to go through the sports gear and get rid of any items that are no longer being used or are in poor condition. This will help keep the space organized and free of clutt
- 🏀【Multifunctional Sports Equipment Organizer】 This rolling storage rack features 4 tier shelves with wire mesh, ideal to store sports gears like baseballs, gloves, basketballs, jacket and more. With removable storage hooks, you can store baseball cap, helmet, racket all in one storage stand.
- 【Large Capacity Garage Organization】: It equipped with 2 Layers of Oxford Fabric and 1 Wire Mesh basket, can Organize all your sports goods like basketball,football,baseball etc. and your children’s toys.
- 🏀EASY TO INSTALL: This ball holder was easy to assemble and only took less than 15 minutes, it can carry up to 10 basketballs, golfs, jump ropes, and other accessories such as baseball caps, helmets and jackets with removable ball racks and helmet racks on both sides. This storage organizer freed up a lot of space in your garage and makes it easier for the kids to see their options to play with.
- 🏀【ORGANIZE ALL YOUR SPORTS GEAR】- This hanging storage bag conveniently organizes all your sports equipment in one sport, which can store kinds of sports equipment, like basketballs, footballs, soccer balls, volleyball, baseball, softball bats, tennis, badminton, and pickle ball rackets, as well as lacrosse, sticks, field hockey, and even can be used as a garage toy storage; organize all your indoor & outdoor sports goods on one organized bag for truly space saving and providing easy access
- 【New Arrival Larger Capacity】Our sports equipment storage features 3 layers in total which include 2 main storage bins,1 side basket, 1 moveable middle basket, special designed top layer, EXTRA ball ring rack, bat rack with bottom basket and 6 hooks. Easy to store all kinds of rolling balls like baseball, footballs, soccer balls, volleyball; large equipment such as helmets, athletic shoes; slim sports gears like baseball bat, hockey racks.
Organizing Outdoor Accessories
Here are a few tips for storing kids' mittens, gloves, and accessories in a mudroom or closet:
- Use bins or baskets: Store small items such as mittens, gloves, and hats in bins or baskets that can be easily labeled and tucked away on shelves or in a closet. This will help keep the items organized and prevent them from getting lost or cluttered.
- Use designated hooks or hangers: Install hooks or hangers specifically for mittens, gloves, and other accessories. This will make it easy for kids to find and access these items when they need them.
- Use clear storage containers: Consider using clear storage containers or bins to store mittens, gloves, and other accessories. This will make it easy to see what is inside and help kids find the items they need quickly.
- Label everything: Label bins, hooks, and storage containers with the names of each child or the type of item being stored. This will help kids know where to find their items and help prevent mix-ups.
- Have a designated "clean-up" time: Set aside a specific time each week or month to go through the mittens, gloves, and accessories and get rid of any items that are no longer being used or are in poor condition. This will help keep the space organized and free of clutter.
By following these tips and implementing some creative storage solutions, you can create an organized mudroom or closet for kids' mittens, gloves, and accessories.
Summary About Organization for Families
Overall, I'm loving how this turned out! See my other post about how to get farmhouse decor at a steal at Target and organization/storage options.
Leave a Reply