Garlic bread doesn't have to be extravagant, and there's no need to use artisanal bakery bread. Instead, reach for a standard loaf of sandwich bread and get ready because I'm about to unveil a simple method for crafting garlic-infused bread using everyday slices. Craving some homemade garlic bread with the sandwich bread you have tucked away in your pantry? Look no further!
Today, I've got a clever recipe hack to share – a guide on transforming regular bread into delectable garlic bread. Sometimes, we find ourselves short of those dreamy side dish ingredients. Well, for this side dish trick, you likely have all the necessary components right in your kitchen cupboard! So, let's dive into an easy, pantry-friendly garlic bread recipe that makes the most of your everyday bread slices.
In This Post
Poor Man's Garlic Bread
My grandmother had a simple recipe for garlic bread prepared like I'm going to show you, often affectionately referred to as "Poor Man's Garlic Bread" due to its use of the everyday sandwich bread. However, you know what they say—sometimes, the most straightforward recipes are the most delicious!
There's simply no rival to the tried and true blend of buttered bread, garlic, and parsley that makes up this homemade garlic bread made from traditional sliced bread. Plus, the recipe is an absolute breeze, especially for a weeknight!
This versatile garlic bread is the perfect companion to soups, stews, casseroles, and other pasta recipes. In fact, I can't resist enjoying it as a standalone snack—this garlic toast is that irresistible!
So, whether you're seeking a scrumptious side or a delectable snack, let me walk you through making this simple garlic bread using everyday sliced bread.
Tips and Substitution Ideas
Here are some handy tips and easy swaps for this recipe:
- Don't stress about the bread type; any kind will do the trick! Whether it's sliced sourdough, whole grain white, whole wheat, or grainy bread, they all bring deliciousness to the table.
- To make butter soft and spreadable, simply pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds and give it a good mash with a fork or spoon.
- Planning ahead? You can whip up the garlic butter mixture a day ahead of time and keep it chilling in the fridge until you're ready to dive into the recipe.
- If you find yourself wrestling with butter that won't cooperate while spreading, toss your bread into the freezer for about 20 minutes. It'll firm up a tad, making it a breeze to glide that butter on like a pro!
- Don't wander off! The broiler can quickly turn your bread into a charred mess, so it's crucial to keep a close watch while the slices are under it. For an extra flavor kick, try topping the bread with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan or any other cheese of your choice to transform it into cheesy garlic bread. And if you're in the mood for a little heat, a pinch of crushed red pepper will add a delightful touch of spiciness to your creation!
Homemade Garlic Bread from Regular Bread Recipe
First, grab some room temperature butter (or spreadable butter).
Next, chop up some parsley. (Link to one of my favorite wood cutting board.)
Get some garlic powder ready!
Mix it all together.
Grab some wheat bread.
And spread the butter mixture over both sides.
Broil for 3 minutes on each side 4 inches from the heat until lightly golden.
Top it off with freshly grated parmesan cheese!
Easy garlic bread from regular bread makes your lunch extra delicious!
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe hits the mark because you've probably got these ingredients on hand, saving you from those last-minute store dashes, and it's a breeze to double up for a bigger crowd. Plus, you can prep it ahead and throw it in the oven right before munching, making it quick, easy, and oh-so-yummy. Here's some reasons why this recipe works:
- These ingredients are usually readily available in my kitchen, so no need for last-minute grocery store runs!
- Doubling this recipe is a cinch, making it perfect for feeding a crowd.
- With the convenience of prepping in advance and then popping it in the oven just before serving, it's a time-saver.
- Quick, hassle-free, and undeniably delicious—this recipe ticks all the boxes!
Let's talk serving ideas! This fantastic, no-fuss garlic bread crafted from everyday slices is a versatile companion for all your go-to dishes – think soups, stews, pasta, salads, and more! Personally, I love it as a star player on a charcuterie board, surrounded by an array of delectable dips and dippers, or as a meatless meal savior. And, of course, it's the perfect match for any pasta dish drowning in a luscious sauce.
Storage for Leftover Garlic Bread
Now, when it comes to storage, pop any leftovers into an airtight container and tuck them in the fridge. If you want to save some for later, no problem! Freeze it in airtight, freezer-safe plastic bags or containers. When you're ready for a garlic bread revival, simply give it a quick warm-up under the broiler for about 30 seconds, and you're good to go!
Other Easy Side Dish Recipes
I hope you loved this recipe for homemade garlic bread from regular sliced bread. If you did, here are some other recipes you might like: