These last few weeks, our family has been crazy packed with after school activities. Our day starts by getting the oldest's backpack ready for pre-kindergarten summer school. Next, we pack nap time items for my youngest two, getting them to school on time, followed by soccer, dance, gymnastics and swimming afterwards - it's been a wild ride for us.
It sounds kind of crazy, but I kind of love it. They say that one day, I'll miss this phase, so I'm cherishing every moment I get.
With my youngest at one, it has been trialing at times to keep him entertained during the after school activities.
Sometimes, I feel like this:
Especially when his sisters' extracurricular activities go all the way up to 8:00 PM (which is typically past his bedtime).
Today, I'm sharing with you ten tips on how to keep a baby under 18 months entertained while their siblings are at practice! This can also be used if you are travelling on a plane with a baby or even on a long car ride over the holiday weekend.
- Read a book. Bring a new book that baby has not read yet, and they'll be enthralled with the new colors and shapes inside!
- Crumple Up Paper. Use anything - notebooks, newspaper and magazines. You can throw them up in the air and have your child catch it. You can also have them try to throw it in your purse or make a hoop with your arms.
- Go fishing with a pen and string. Create “fish” out of Post-it notes. So easy!
- Pack food that takes a LONG TIME to eat. Raisins, baguette and lollipops are examples of snacks that fit into this category.
- Bring a baby carrier. Even at one, my little guy LOVES being carried in his carrier while I'm walking around. Heck, you'll get a workout out of it!
- Watch your favorite videos on your phone or apps. This is probably a no brainer - rules fly out the window when you are in public.
- Bandages and bubble wrap. Keep little fingers busy with a box of bandages and a sheet of bubble wrap.
- Wrap (and unwrap) toys with squares of tin foil—no tape required!
- Make faces. Yes, I added this as a tip. Don't judge. Works every time.
- Nurse or feed. With my one year old, I am still both nursing and supplementing. Sometimes, baby may just need a little comfort. Whether you are nursing ...
or supplementing, a fed baby is a happy baby!
Comfort for babies means happiness for everyone. When my baby is happy, everyone around me is happier too!
With Conrad having turned one, I switched from Gerber® Good Start® Gentle Stage 2 Infant Formula (which is for 6 to 12 months)
to using Gerber® Good Start® Stage 3 Toddler Drink, which has nutrition specially designed for toddlers, made with probiotics.
How do you keep your baby entertained during long commutes, waiting for other children or on planes?