House hunting update during pregnancy.
Let me just say this up front: House hunting during pregnancy is a big no-no.
Two years ago, the hubs and I put our shop/land on the market. It took forever to sell and we lost our butts, not going to lie. We put it up for sale because (a) it was too far of a drive with our first baby on the way and (b) there weren't a lot of kiddos in the neighborhood for our family-to-be. But we did the right thing - we waited until the place sold until we started looking for a house to actually buy.
Fast forward to today, we're renting a tiny little townhouse with two bedrooms with our second child on the way. As nature would have it, I am nesting. And one of the big urges I have right now is to buy a house! The issue is that the hubs and I can't agree on a house - and the options out there are not that great.
I admit, I am stubborn. So is the husband. That does not bode well for us when house shopping.
What he wants:
- ranch or reverse 1.5
- brick house
What I want:
- 4 bedrooms or more (i.e. I need a craft room)
- kitchen with a pantry
- good neighborhood (i.e. I get good vibes driving through it)
- Liberty, Blue Springs, or Lee's Summit School District
Well, this weekend we found a house that I liked. I'll say it again: I liked. It matched everything on my list, and nothing on his. For whatever reason, my pregnancy hormones kicked in - and I had waterworks the entire weekend. Thinking back on it now, I felt bad for my husband (don't tell him that). I mean, the house wasn't perfect - it was just in a neighborhood I loved. I liked the neighborhood more than the house.
We put an offer in on that house, which got rejected. The house needed A LOT of work (26 year old house, needed a new roof, new siding, interior remodeling). Yeah, our offer was low, but here's my rationale: if I can buy a little bit smaller new house without any need to remodel - I would rather do that. We hate haggling, so we put a best and final offer on the table. I told Ryan that because I was pressuring him, if they rejected the offer - then we would wait a year until we started looking again.
So here we are: waiting another year. Ansley, it looks like you'll be sharing a room 🙂 This is how she feels about that:
Maybe in a year, I won't be too emotional over this house buying thing. At that point, I won't be pregnant (...although it could happen) and the market should be fresh with new inventory.
Any advice on how to not argue with the spouse when house hunting? I need all the tips I can get 🙂
Leave a Reply