This recipe is for chicken tortellini soup that is creamy as it is delicious!
“Easy meals” also doesn’t always have to mean “fast”. What I mean by that is I consider it a huge win if I can put the meal together and there is some downtime while the entree simmers or bakes. As long as the ingredients are easy to put together, often times I’m okay with meals taking 45 to 90 minutes to finish. This allows me get a few more things done before dinner time.
I’ve got a host of easy meals that my kids love. My recipe for a delicious creamy tomato based tortellini soup is one of them! I’m sharing them with you today so that you can put it in your arsenal of easy meals for a weekday too (or any day really!).
Ingredients for Creamy Tomato Based Tortellini Soup
1 onion, large diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
15 ounce can diced tomatoes
23 ounce can Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup
2 cups Prego® Italian Sauce (Traditional)
4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
1 can Swanson® Premium Chicken (optional)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
20 ounces three-cheese tortellini
Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
Directions for Making Creamy Tomato Based Tortellini Soup
Step 1 | Dice It Up
Dice up some onions and garlic.
Step 2 | Heat It Up
Heat up the olive oil in medium heat. Place the onions and garlic in the pot so the aroma fills the air.
Step 3 | Start Mixing in the Supporting Ingredients
Start slowly incorporating in diced tomatoes, Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup, Prego® Italian Sauce (Traditional), Swanson® Premium Chicken and Chicken Broth, heavy cream, rosemary, oregano, basil, sea salt and pepper.
I love how the supporting ingredients of this pot are things you probably already have in your pantry! For example, Swanson® Premium Chicken is a staple you should always have because it’s already cooked and ready to use for everyday meals! Prego® Italian provides a rich flavor for an easy weeknight spaghetti dinner that saves you hours from simmering your own sauce! Let’s not forget Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato soup – my kids LOVE IT and I love it because I can put it in meals like this one to make it my own!
Step 4 | Simmer and Step Away
Let the deliciousness simmer for 30 minutes on the lowest setting. Go do something (of course, keep an eye on it every now and again) – you’re a busy parent!
Step 5 | Start Mixing in the Star of the Show
Add in the semi-homemade tortellini and let them cook in the grandeur of the soup for 10 minutes until tender. At this point, if you want to add more protein to your meal, you can add the can Swanson® Premium Chicken.
Step 6 | Serve It
Serve in a soup bowl by garnishing with fresh basil and grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.
Your kids are sure to love it! Oh, your spouse will too! How do you stock up on easy meals to prepare for busy week days?
Delicious Creamy Tortellini Tomato Soup
- 1 onion large diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 23 ounce can Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup
- 2 cups Prego® Italian Sauce Traditional
- 4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 1 can Swanson® Premium Chicken optional
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 20 ounces three-cheese tortellini
- basil fresh
- Parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- In a soup pot, warm up the olive oil in medium heat.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic cloves until translucent (typically 5 minutes).
- Add diced tomatoes, Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup, Prego® Italian Sauce (Traditional), Swanson® Premium Chicken, heavy cream, rosemary, oregano, basil, sea salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on lowest setting.
- Add in three-cheese tortellini for 10 minutes until cooked and tender.
- Add in optional Swanson® Premium Chicken (optional).
- Serve in a soup bowl by garnishing with fresh basil and grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.