This short, scenic trail near Sedona, Arizona is a really easy hike that you can take with family and kids to get views of Cathedral Rock. If you are wanting an easy trail to do while you are on vacation, this is a great one that you can add to your itinerary with kids!
In This Post
Overview of Baldwin Loop in Sedona
Baldwin Loop Trail is a 2.5-mile loop that has beautiful views. It has the red rocks and red sand that Sedona is known for.
Since it is a relatively easy route, you'll potentially encounter other vacationers and locales while hiking or taking a stroll in on this trail. It has amazing scenic views of Cathedral Rock.
If you are visiting in the fall, it is absolutely beautiful.
If you are on Verde Valley School Road, you'll want to drive 4.1 miles and it's located on the west side of the road.
If you use Google Maps or Apple Maps, driving may take you to what appears to be a gated community, which means you went the wrong way. If you head towards the Crescent Moon trail, it will lead you to the correct route. If you go a little further, you'll be able to find parking spots that has the trailhead.
There are a few parking spots near the trailhead. There is also a parking lot that is smaller in Verde Valley across the trail access point. Lastly, there is a Turkey Creek lot that you can hike up to the access point. You will need a Red Rock pass to park which costs around $5.00.
Incline and Elevation
There is a small incline of 120 feet, but nothing that a stroller couldn't handle near the beginning of the trail. Once you go a little deeper into the trail, normal strollers may not be able to handle the rest of the way.
This hike takes on average two hours for families with little kids under the age of ten.
Best Tips for Families
Go Counter Clockwise
If you go counterclockwise, you'll be able to have a little more shade (not much) and end up near the Crescent Moon Water Hole to cool off. A quarter of the way through the trail, you'll be able to see beautiful views. This allows you to leave the best views for the near the end of the hike.
You'll want to get there early at around 8:00 as the lot can get pretty full by that point. By 10:00, cars are lined up waiting for a spot.
Watch for Bikers
There are a lot of bikers that like to go on this trail, so make sure you account for that especially if you have littles.
Sedona heat can be relentless, so make sure you bring a lot of water. Cool temperatures in the morning should not be a forecast for how the weather will be during the day.
Dogs are welcome, but they will need to be added on a leash. It is definitely dog friendly.
Hiking Purchases for Baldwin Trail
Below are the supplies that I got for our family in preparing for hikes in Sedona since we were doing back to back hikes.
We did wear this in the summer, and it worked great because these socks gave them a lot of cushion.
- PREMIUM QUALITY : Made of the 55% wool, 25% cotton, 15% polyester and 5% spandex,the kids wool socks are warm,thick,skin friendly and comfortable.They wick moisture effectively and are great hiking socks for kids!
- SOFT & BREATHABLE & COZY : The materials for this stylish kids wool socks are very comfortable and soft, special fuzzy inner design will keep the feet warm, the soft and thicken fabric will keep children's feet feel comfortable all the day, no any itching issue, It's a perfect wool socks for boys, girls or toddlers.
- DIFFERENT SIZE FOR AGES: This fashion children wool socks design for different age (from toddler socks to teen age socks), We offer variety of size for your choice, 1-3T, 4-7 Years, 8-12 Years .And there are many colors for boys and girls to choose ,such as kids stripes socks,boys dinosaur socks,etc.
Camelback for 3 to 7 Year Olds
This water pack was great for my five and seven year old because it wasn't too big and they were able to use it.
- 【Keep 4 Hours Insulated】 KUYOU Hydration backpack have thick insulated layer, the insulated bladder compartment keeps your liquid cool or hot for up to 4 hours, and built-in clip for fixing water bladder in position.
- 【Lightweight & Durable & Festival Choice】Hydration water pack features rugged ripstop nylon and sturdy metal zipper. Weights just 16oz, included 1.5L water bladder pouch and small object pocket. Adopts anti-splash water surface, and is specifically designed for those who want to stand out from the next music festival, carnival, etc.
- 【1.5L Hydration Bladder】Water bladder is made of premium TPU material. Our hydration bladder passed 24-hour swing test and 24-hour vibration test. Large opening is easy to clean and add ice cube. 135 degrees rotatable mouthpiece allows for easy drinking.
Camelback for 8 to 12 Year Olds
This is the exact camelback that we got for our older kids.
- COMFORTABLE CARRY = Lightweight Water Pack designed for comfort. Ultra-light, streamlined, and easy to adjust. Fully adjustable shoulder/chest straps conform to your body with no bounce! Fits all sizes.
- 2L HYDRATION BLADDER INCLUDED = PVC & BPA Free bladder for our kids hydration backpack. Leak proof and easily removable via the main pocket. Oversized 2-inch wide screw cap allows ice for an even cooler drink & makes cleaning easy.
- FUN DESIGNS & COLORS = If you are tired of boring hydration pack backpack then our bright colors, unique styles & patterns are for you. Stand out at your next music festival, rave, edm or edc event with our rave essentials.
Hiking Shoes for Preschool Kids
These shoes were great because they were easy to take on and off.
- Safety: Anti-collision wrapped rubber toe cap and slip-resistant rubber sole provide better protection and grip for your kids during outdoor sports with confidence and safety
- Convenient: Designed with adjustable double hook-and-loops. These shoes are convenient for children to put on and take off by themselves and provide a snug fit
- Soft and Comfortable: The mesh fabric lining and soft foam insole offer optional cushion, support and comfort during each outdoor adventure for your kids
Hiking Shoes for 8 Year Olds and Up
These hiking shoes are great because they are velcro'd.
- Suede and mesh upper for durability Waterproof construction keeps feet dry Traditional lace closure for a secure fit Rubber rugged outsole with lug pattern and extra grip for superior traction Recycled PET Linings
Are you planning your trip to Sedona?
If youʻre booking your trip to Sedona last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top accomodations, parking, and more!
Affordable Hotel and Lodging Accomodations in Sedona
- Los Abrigados Resort and Spa (right next to town square)
- Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock (awesome views and pool)
Affordable Transportation to Sedona
Frequently Asked Questions
Baldwin Loop is a 2.5-mile trail in Sedona.
Baldwin Trail takes 1.5 to 2 hours to complete for the average hiker.
Parts of Baldwin Loop can be used with strollers, but there are parts that will require scrambling. Going clockwise will allow you to see all the views before the terrain gets too tough.
Our family of six absolutely loved Baldwin Loop Trail. The scenic trail was an easy one for us to complete as compared to the other ones in Sedona we completed on previous days. I would recommend having the kids bring a camelback as part of their hike.
It's a great place to check out the outdoors and also get some family photo ops while hiking.
More Things to Do in Arizona with Kids on Vacation
If you are looking for more detailed review on our trip, checkout our posts below on our itinerary of things we did on our family of six trip to both Phoenix and Sedona for a 5-day mini getaway vacation. Here is a Example 5 Day Itinerary for Phoenix and Sedona for Families with Kids.
Phoenix Vacation Ideas for Families with Kids
- Sample 2 Day Itinerary in Phoenix for Family with Kids
- Honest Review of Hilton Phoenix at the Peak Water Resort for Families and Kids
- Restaurants to Try in Phoenix with Families and Kids on Vacation
- Camelback Mountain on Echo Canyon Trail with Kids in Phoenix
- Piestewa Summit Trail 300 Squaw Peak with Kids in Phoenix
- Papago Park - Hole in Rock Trail
- Montezuma's Castle Between Phoenix and Sedona
Sedona Vacation Ideas for Families with Kids
- Sample 3 Day Itinerary in Sedona for Family with Kids
- Honest Review of Hilton Sedona at Bell Rock for Families and Kids
- Restaurants to Try in Sedona with Families and Kids on Vacation
- Slide Rock State Park Review for Kids and Families
- Bell Rock Trail Loop Hike (0.8 miles) Review for Kids and Families
- Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona - Worth visiting with kids?
- West Fork Oak Creek Trail (6.5 miles) with Kids
- Baldwin Loop Trail (2.5 miles) for Families
Leave a Reply